Me and my brother

By | April 21, 2010

My brother is 6 and a half years younger than me.  Thats a fairly big age gap really so its only in the past couple of years that we’ve become good friends.

He’s 18, free and single, drives a cool car, loves going out and partying and has lots of friends.  I’m 25, married with a baby, also drive a cool car (honest!), rarely go out anymore and have a select few friends that I keep in touch with.  But somehow, we’re closer now than we’ve ever been.

He sometimes phones me up in his lunch hour at work, just to chat.  And I love that so much!  He even lends me his cool All Saints belts when he’s in a really good mood.

When me and M got together, I was 17 and still living at home.  He came to see me one night and when it was time for him to leave I went outside with him for a goodnight kiss.  We were just getting close when I noticed the curtains twitching and hiding behind them was my brother, then 10 years old, giggling his head off.

I once tied him up to the washing line pole and tickled him until he cried.  I live in fear of him getting me back for this as he’s now over 6ft and I wouldn’t stand a chance against him.

I remember when my mum went into labour and I was dropped off at my grandparents at 2am while my parents went to hospital.  I went running down the path, shouting at the top of my voice as I was so excited.  I doubt the neighbours were amused though!

I have many lovely memories of my brother and I hope we continue to get closer as we get older.

This post was written for the Sleep is for the weak writing workshop.  I chose prompt 4 – Share some memories of a sibling or siblings

No Comments

Lynne Peet on April 21, 2010 at 11:33 am.

Fantastic! What a great blog. Reminds me very much of my “little” brother (now also 6ft tall but will always be my little brother as he’s 4 years younger!).
I too still live in fear that he will get me back for dangling him over the bannister by his ankles as a 4 year old but now we work in the same building he often wanders up to my office for a chat!

MummyMatters on April 21, 2010 at 3:44 pm.

That’s a lovely post, I grew up an only child but recently at the age of 33 found out that I have two brothers and a sister who actually lived in the same town as me for 7 years when we were little. My brothers now live in Australia and my sister I see quite regularly. I’m often sad for the time that we have missed out on but I’m making the most of it now! What’s worse though is that my Mum’s family still know nothing of them and I’ve been told it has to stay that way so I can’t even blog about it!

b4kersgirl on April 21, 2010 at 4:16 pm.

How sad that your siblings have to be a secret. So nice that you have got in contact with them though

andthenallithoughtaboutwasyou on April 22, 2010 at 9:09 am.

Ah that is a lovely post, sounds like you have lots of laughs together xx

peabee72 on April 22, 2010 at 11:02 am.

How lovely. As an only I’m always a little envious of siblings that get on so well – it’s relationship that I’ll never enjoy. You’d better stay away from washing lines when he’s about, from the sound of it! x

Josie @Sleep is for the Weak on April 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm.

How lovely! You have so many special memories together.

I have a younger brother too, once my little brother and now a whole foot taller and far more grown-up than me!!

itsasmallworldafterallfamily on April 22, 2010 at 1:49 pm.

It’s lovely the way your relationship changes as you become adults isn’t it? I get on really well with my brother and it’s nice to have that close, easy relationship with someone who knows all about me.

Annie on April 22, 2010 at 2:46 pm.

What great memories! Siblings really are the best, especially when they turn into wonderful friends in adulthood.

I can relate to your worry that your younger brother will get back at you for the shenanigans of your youth… My “baby” brother is now an enormous, grown man who could toss me like a sack of flour. Thankfully we are close and I think he has forgiven me for any older sister bullying from our childhood. :)

Love the blog. xo

bookworm on April 22, 2010 at 6:52 pm.

I loved your post! :) Sounds like you and your little brother have a great relationship.