Holidays

By | May 12, 2010

Holidays are a funny thing aren’t they?  We save up lots of money, buy new clothes and get so excited just to go and stay somewhere different for a week or two.

Why do we do it?  Sure, having a week away is nice but the day you get back and have to start on that mountain of washing and ironing it doesn’t really feel like you’ve been away.

Is it not having to go to work?  The sunshine?  The food?  A rest?

I love holidays.  I love them even if my ‘holiday’ is going camping in the Peak District for the weekend.  M just shakes his head at me when I say I’m excited about going on holiday, but I know he secretly is too!

My favourite two holidays have both been to Paphos in Cyprus.  The first time we went there was to get married.  Ten of us went and stayed in a lovely all-inclusive hotel on the sea front.  Even though it was January and a lot of places were closed, we fell in love with the place.

We returned to Cyprus in September of the same year, just the 2 of us.  This time we stayed in an apartment, ate out at a different restaurant every night and enjoyed drinks by the harbour.  It was wonderful.  I can’t wait to take C there although might wait a few years as I’m not sure I fancy a 5 hour flight with a baby!

Since C’s been here, we’ve been away for a weekend with my parents in a holiday cottage when she was just 3 weeks old and last October we went to Butlins.

We’re off to Butlins again on Monday, hence the holiday post, and I’m so looking forward to it now that C is that bit older and will be interested in the shows and everything thats going on.

We’ve got nothing else booked this year but we’re hoping to take C on her first camping trip or 2 when the weather is a bit warmer.  Not planning on going far, just over to the Peak District again, but I’m already excited!

What do you love about holidays?

What has been your best holiday ever and where are you looking forward to going next?

Emma Button on May 12, 2010 at 9:42 pm.

Me too! I love the excitement of planning for a holiday almost as much as the trip itself. My best holiday ever was my honeymoon but holidays are a little different now that the little one is around.

We are off to NY for a wedding/holiday next month. Flights booked, hire car booked, hotels booked. Now we play the waiting game.

For me, the food is the best thing about holidays. Self catering trips with my parents were always times when we’d cook great meals together made from local produce we’d bought from farms and shops. Overseas trips sharing a late meal and a lazy drink as the sun sets. Mmmmmm

b4kersgirl on May 13, 2010 at 11:18 am.

I love the food too, especially when we’re overseas.

Very jealous of your NY trip, its somewhere I’d love to go.

Lynne Peet on May 12, 2010 at 10:24 pm.

DH and I used to live for our holidays, the further away the better. In the 3 years between us getting married and having our LO we visited Las Vegas, Hawaii, New York, Dubai and had an extended 6 week trip touring through Sydney and Victoria in Australia. I lived for the buzz of an airport and found sitting on a plane watching the safety demo and eating some non descript aeroplane meal all part of the excitement of going away.

The thought of holidaying in the UK was beyond me, I wouldn’t even entertain it but guess where we are going this year? …….. Devon, in September and I can’t wait!!!! I have realised since LO came along that I don’t need airports and boarding passes, we’ll be packing our car up and heading to Devon for our very first family holiday!

b4kersgirl on May 13, 2010 at 11:20 am.

Wow, you’ve been to some fantastic places!

Trying hard to not sound like a cliche here but failing miserably – I don’t think it matters where you go, its who you go with thats important!

Devons a lovely area, I bet you’ll have a brilliant time

Debcw on May 13, 2010 at 5:55 am.

I think eveyone needs a break in routine even, as you say, it’s just a few days camping. I love going away and it doesn’t need to be far to make it enjoyable. Let us know how you get on camping with C, hubby and I have discussed taking the little girl but I think it will be a little while yet.

b4kersgirl on May 13, 2010 at 11:22 am.

I look forward to all holidays, a night away somewhere is good enough for me!

If it was up to me I’d have taken C camping last summer but DH said no!