We got back from a weekend away to find we had more red tomatoes than we could eat in a months worth of salads so I set about finding something I could make with them.
My first thought was tomato sauce but we don’t really eat that much of it so looked again. I came across a few recipes for tomato & chilli chutney, some of which I didn’t have all the ingredients for so I just mixed it up a little and made my own recipe.
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 2-3 chillies, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 100g brown sugar
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200c
- Put the tomatoes, chilli, garlic, onion, vinegar and sugar into a large, shallow roasting dish. Pour on a large glug of olive oil and mix everything together with your hands.
- Roast in the oven for around an hour until everything is soft and the onions have caramelised.
- Allow to cool a little and transfer to sterilised storage jars.
This was really easy to make and tastes delicious. It’s really good on cheese sandwiches!
I’m not sure how long it keeps for yet as this is my first batch but if you keep it in an airtight container in a cupboard until you open it, then in the fridge, I imagine it’ll be ok for a few weeks.