Following on from yesterday’s Silent Sunday post, I thought I’d share the recipe for those spooky gingerbread men.
I wish I could take all the credit myself but I actually spotted the recipe in the latest Sainsbury’s magazine, and you can find it on the Sainsbury’s website too. The original recipe uses 1 teaspoon of ground ginger but I doubled this as love gingerbread men to be really gingery!
- 80g unsalted butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60g golden syrup
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Writing icing
- Preheat the oven to 200c
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy, then stir in the bicarbonate of soda, golden syrup and egg yolks. Sift in the flour, ginger and cinnamon. Using your hands, bring the mixture together to form a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a thickness of ½cm. Use a 12cm gingerbread man cutter to stamp out 16 biscuits. Transfer the biscuits to the lined baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes, then cool on wire rack.
- Break off a few ‘limbs’ and use red and white writing icing to decorate.
This week’s biscuits were a trial run and everybody loved them. I’m planning on making some for the trick or treaters next week too as an alternative to giving out sweets. Do you have any other spooky recipes I could make?