Goodbye bottles

By | October 11, 2011

At 27 months, C has finally dropped her bottles of milk.

She had one in the morning and one at night, a routine that has been going on for the past 18 months or so.  The weekend before last we went down to London for a blogging event and extended our stay until the Tuesday.

Spending a weekend in London is very tiring for a toddler and her routine went out of the window, with one of the things that was forgotten being her bottle of milk.

I’m not really bothered about this.  I suppose she shouldn’t really have been having bottles still anyway but she point blank refuses to drink milk from a cup so I carried on with the bottles.

Of course, the problem I have now is making sure C gets enough dairy.  I offer her glasses of milk but she won’t even try them; she does like yogurts and cheese so I’m now making sure there are plenty of those in the fridge.

What other things can I give her, or am I just worrying about nothing?

Sheilaw10 on October 11, 2011 at 4:26 pm.

I am sure she will get what she needs from the cheese and yogurts – you could try flavouring the milk with fresh fruit like a banana she might drink it then.

Emma on October 12, 2011 at 10:40 am.

Ah, good idea! She loves fruit so if she sees me putting it in some milk she’s quite likely to drink it. Thanks!

Kate on October 11, 2011 at 6:11 pm.

She needs a lot less cheese to get the requisite amount of calcium – because most of the liquid is lost during the cheese making process. She will be fine and after a while, she will enjoy drinking milk in other ways, especially when at nursery or preschool. Mine liked the simple flip top cups but they like drinking out of anything with a straw so those little cartons are very popular. They get them at school. Open cups are also worth a try at her age, but you may need to watch her. Definitely not one for bed time!!
Kate recently posted..My collection

Emma on October 12, 2011 at 10:43 am.

Thanks, I didn’t know that about cheese.

I might try her with those cartons of milk with the straw.

Actually Mummy... on November 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm.

Dried apricots! Apparently there’s as much calcium as a yoghurt in just 2! I am an expert in this because neither of mine would drink milk if it wasn’t in a bottle. And broccoli, if that goes down ok. Fortunately both mine like broccoli and love dried apricots. Once I got a bit more laid back about sugar I also occasionally gave them hot chocolate and milkshakes. Ice cream?
Thanks so much for joining in with the love Mummy Blogs Showcase last week :)

Emma on November 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm.

Thank you! I had no idea about apricots. Thankfully C is a good eater and will eat most dried fruit so they’re on the shopping list!