Dora’s Little Cooks Collection

By | February 16, 2012

If you have a Dora the Explorer fan in the family who enjoys cooking then the new Dora the Explorer Little Cooks Collection is for you!

We’ve been sent a copy of the first issue and have really been enjoying it.  The magazine has a main ingredient in each issue, the first one being bananas, and is featured in different activities throughout the magazine.

At two and a half C can’t read the magazine herself yet but that just means I get to share it with her which is nice.  She does like to ‘read’ the magazine herself too.

There are different activities throughout the magazine such as bits to colour in, picking the right ingredients and puzzles.

There is a star recipe in each issue, this one being banana muffins.  The instructions are fantastic for cooking with toddlers; they begin by showing you what equipment you need with space to tick when you have it ready then there’s a list of ingredients – the banana muffin recipe having just 6 ingredients.

There are then step by step instructions, with pictures to go with each step which would be great for slightly older children to do the majority of the recipe by themselves.

The actual recipe took less than 10 minutes to mix up then it was time to put our muffins in the oven.  Voila!

Obviously C wanted to eat them within seconds of them coming out of the oven but I managed to make her wait until they’d cooled a little before we tried them.  Now I’m not a huge fan of bananas, unlike C who loves them, but even I thought they tasted delicious.  The only trouble was, the recipe only made 4!

As well as the star recipe, there are also some quick and easy recipes based on the main ingredient.  In this issue there are recipes for banana ice cream, banana smoothie, banana breakfast and a banana lolly.

Once you’ve finished cooking and completing the activities there’s a story to share based on, yes you guessed, the star ingredient!

We have thoroughly enjoyed this magazine and will be making the muffins again very soon!  C loves the fact she has her own special cupcake cases to bake with now and she has enjoyed going through the magazine with me and completing the activities.

This issue came with 4 silicone cupcake cases and a Dora plate.  Issue one costs 99p, issue two costs £2.99 then each issue will cost £4.99.

For more information visit the Little Cooks Collection website.

jenny Paulin on February 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm.

i have seen tho in the local shop it does take up a lot of room on the magazine shelf! i can see why it appeals to kids though and it does look fun x
ps. the muffins look yummy
jenny Paulin recently posted..Charity Chuggers Can Chugg-On!

Emilia on March 6, 2012 at 7:59 am.

We loved making these too and had a great time. Then the subscription form fell out of the magazine and so we made our first mistake.

Take my advice and don’t make the mistake of subscribing. Having paid the £9.98 a month back on Feb 9th so far we have had one issue and never got the free subscribers gift due with our first shipment. I made the mistake of believing as a subscriber we would get some sort of priority but no – issue 2 has been out and in the shops, so has issue 3. Meanwhile my poor little cook is wandering past the magazine stand at Tesco with sad eyes wondering why Mummy said we would get the magazine delivered by the postman and so far nothing beyond issue 1!

I called Eaglemoss who produce the magazine yesterday for some answers.
“We ask customers to wait 21 days”.
Well I did, that would be March 1st.
“21 days from when we dispatch”
You are joking right?
“Its up to royal mail not us”.
So where’s the free magazine file we should have had with our first shipment.
“That comes with the second shipment”
But it says in your welcoming email it will be with the first shipment.
“Well it should say second shipment”
But it doesn’t.
“It’s in with your second shipment which has been dispatched”
So when will we get it?
“We ask you to allow 21 days”

And yes I am ready to throw the phone against the wall! Asking a 4 year old to wait 21 days from start of subscription and another 21 days from dispatch is beyond unreasonable. I am sure my clever little girl thinks Mummy is fibbing when I say her next two issues are on route but to be honest I feel like I am because I simply cannot trust the customer service agents who seem so vague about the whole subscription process.

I subscribe to three other magazines – all of which come BEFORE they are in the shops, WITH their free gifts and all of which came out to me within days of starting the subscription and then monthly or weekly (depending on the magazine) there after. Why can’t Dora Little Cooks Collection manage this simple process –

1) Customer orders subscription and pays
2) Magazine and promised free gift is sent out swiftly
3) Next issue comes out before or at the same time as it hits the shops
4) Magazines continue to come out on time fortnightly

I completed stage 1, Dora Little Cooks failed on 2, 3 and 4.

NOT IMPRESSED!

Emma on March 6, 2012 at 9:30 am.

Hi Emilia

I have passed your concerns on to the contact I have with Eaglemoss’ PR company.

Thanks

Emilia on March 6, 2012 at 9:38 am.

Thanks Emma, I asked for a Manager to call me from the customer service team but have had nothing at all. Hopefully your PR contact will be a bit more proactive!

Emilia on March 13, 2012 at 11:39 am.

So I finally got to speak to someone to discover that although the publishers promised me faithfully that issues 2 & 3 were dispatched on the 20th Feb and were on their way to me this was in fact a lie. Issue 3 is out of stock so no issues beyond issue 1 have been sent to me. But if that isn’t bad enough they have admitted they have taken payment from my account not just for the missing issues 2 and 3 but also for issues 4 & 5! I am absolutely furious and urge all mums to boycott this magazine. They are taking money, not providing the magazine, lying to customers that it has been dispatched and don’t even seem to be particularly apologetic. My 4 year old is absolutely devastated. I have cancelled my subscription and asked for a full refund but I won’t be holding my breath! Shame on you Eaglemoss publishing.

Carly on March 21, 2012 at 11:06 pm.

I too have paid up to issue number 5 but am yet to recieve ANY magazines yet not even issue one! my 3 year old sits waiting for the postman every day and gets left dissapointed every day. customer services have told me 3 different dates they will arrive and none ever have. am not impressed at all with it, my daughters little friends in nursery were all talking about things they had made out of there the other day and we cant make them as we dont have them.

Emilia on March 22, 2012 at 10:57 am.

In my desperation I emailed the company’s Chief Executive and got a very prompt reply. I then got a call and all of the outstanding magazines and free gifts arrived within a few days. It’s not great that I had to take my complaint all the way to Eaglemoss’s CE but at least I finally got what I paid for. Carly, why don;t you call Eaglemoss and if you don’t get any joy I will happily post the CE’s email address here so you can email him yourself. I bet you’ll get what you paid for then!

anna on April 29, 2012 at 1:06 pm.

hi i wasn’t happy with the way they were treating me lieing saying my missing issues was on the way i have been waiting since February for ,funny thing was i tell them i don’t want them to take money out of my bank as i want to unsubscribe and within 3 days of telling them that i got my missing issues the other day not happy! best getting them from shop people at least u wont have any problems Anna